Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A simple way to determine the maximum I/O requests per second and megabytes of I/O per second that can be sustained by your storage subsystem

The I/O calibration feature of Oracle Database is accessed using the DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO procedure. This procedure issues an I/O intensive read-only workload, made up of one megabyte of random of I/Os, to the database files to determine the maximum IOPS (I/O requests per second) and MBPS (megabytes of I/O per second) that can be sustained by the storage subsystem.

The I/O calibration occurs in two steps:
  • In the first step of I/O calibration with the DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO procedure, the procedure issues random database-block-sized reads, by default, 8 KB, to all data files from all database instances. This step provides the maximum IOPS, in the output parameter max_iops, that the database can sustain. The value max_iops is an important metric for OLTP databases. The output parameter actual_latency provides the average latency for this workload. When you need a specific target latency, you can specify the target latency with the input parameter max_latency (specifies the maximum tolerable latency in milliseconds for database-block-sized IO requests).
  • The second step of calibration using the DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO procedure issues random, 1 MB reads to all data files from all database instances. The second step yields the output parameter max_mbps, which specifies the maximum MBPS of I/O that the database can sustain. This step provides an important metric for data warehouses.
The calibration runs more efficiently if the user provides the num_physical_disks input parameter, which specifies the approximate number of physical disks in the database storage system.
Due to the overhead from running the I/O workload, I/O calibration should only be performed when the database is idle, or during off-peak hours, to minimize the impact of the I/O workload on the normal database workload.
To run I/O calibration and assess the I/O capability of the storage subsystem used by Oracle Database, use the DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IOprocedure:
SET SERVEROUTPUT ON
DECLARE
  lat  INTEGER;
  iops INTEGER;
  mbps INTEGER;
BEGIN
-- DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO (<DISKS>, <MAX_LATENCY>, iops, mbps, lat);
   DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO (2, 10, iops, mbps, lat);
 
  DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('max_iops = ' || iops);
  DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('latency  = ' || lat);
  dbms_output.put_line('max_mbps = ' || mbps);
end;
/
When running the DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER.CALIBRATE_IO procedure, consider the following:
  • Only run one calibration at a time on databases that use the same storage subsystem. If you simultaneously run the calibration across separate databases that use the same storage subsystem, the calibration will fail.
  • Quiesce the database to minimize I/O on the instance.
  • For Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC) configurations, ensure that all instances are opened to calibrate the storage subsystem across nodes.
  • For an Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC) database, the workload is simultaneously generated from all instances.
  • The num_physical_disks input parameter is optional. By setting the num_physical_disks parameter to the approximate number of physical disks in the database's storage system, the calibration can be faster and more accurate.
  • In some cases, asynchronous I/O is permitted for data files, but the I/O subsystem for submitting asynchronous I/O may be maximized, and I/O calibration cannot continue. In such cases, refer to the port-specific documentation for information about checking the maximum limit for asynchronous I/O on the system.
At any time during the I/O calibration process, you can query the calibration status in the V$IO_CALIBRATION_STATUS view. After I/O calibration is successfully completed, you can view the results in the DBA_RSRC_IO_CALIBRATE table.

More infos here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment