Wednesday, August 22, 2012

vmstat relevant columns with descriptions

Column
Description
kthr
Kernel thread state changes per second over the sampling interval.
r
Number of kernel threads placed in run queue.
b
Number of kernel threads placed in the Virtual Memory Manager (VMM) wait queue (awaiting resource, awaiting input/output).
p
The number of threads waiting on raw I/Os (bypassing journaled file system (JFS)) to complete.
fi/fo
Number of file pages paged in/out per second.
cpu
Breakdown of percentage usage of CPU time. For multiprocessor systems, CPU values are global averages among all processors. Also, the I/O wait state is defined system-wide and not per processor.
us
Average percentage of CPU time executing in the user mode.
sy
Average percentage of CPU time executing in the system mode.
id
Average percentage of time that CPUs were idle and the system did not have an outstanding disk I/O request.
wa
CPU idle time during which the system had outstanding disk/NFS I/O request(s). If there is at least one outstanding I/O to a disk when wait is running, the time is classified as waiting for I/O. Unless asynchronous I/O is being used by the process, an I/O request to disk causes the calling process to block (or sleep) until the request has been completed. Once an I/O request for a process completes, it is placed on the run queue. If the I/Os were completing faster, more CPU time could be used.
pc
Number of physical processors consumed. Displayed only if the partition is running with shared processor.
ec
The percentage of entitled capacity consumed. Displayed only if the partition is running with the shared processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment